MSN 1861 (M) Revalidating Certificates of Competency: Training and Certification Guidance
The Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) has withdrawn MIN 494, MGN 9, MIN 494, and MIN 501 for crew on UK flagged ships and published MSN 1861.
Points of relevance to Yacht Crew include the following:
- Evidence of seagoing service
- Professional Yachtsmen’s Association (PYA) Service Record Book accepted
- MCA has approved some companies to attest documents as true copies
- Yacht size minimum for qualifying sea service
- More than 15 meters
- Definition of qualifying sea service
- Actual sea service, stand-by service, and/or yard service
- Shore based refresher training
- MCA approved modules accepted
- International Association of Maritime Institutions (IAMI) written examination
The application form required to revalidate contains details of the requirements and the fee.